9 Oct: Telling Stories with Photographs
One World Media and photographer Kate Holt, from storytelling agencyArete, present a one day, hands-on workshop that will teach you how to tell stories through photographs and an introduction to Photojournalism. This workshop is ideal for aspiring journalists and photographers, as well as people working on communications for NGOs. The course encourages interpretation and creativity no matter what type of camera you use.
What we will cover:
- How to tell a story through photographs. The trainer will show examples of their own work in different situations
- How the media uses photographs, and how social media and the internet are changing the ways photographs are used
- How to capture and send an image ready for editorial use; size, resolution and format
- How to pitch a photo story to the media
- How to get a slideshow published in a mainstream publication e.g. The Guardian or Al Jazeera – and how to develop a story line and pitch
- We will talk through five images from each participant and discuss how they could be improved
- Participants will be asked to shoot a short photo story based on what you’ve learnt. You will then download all images with captions and, with the trainer’s help, edit your photos into a short story that will be presented and critiqued by the group
- An introduction to Photojournalism as a medium
What to bring:
- Five of your own photographs for discussion – to be emailed prior to the workshop
- A digital camera (quality and size not important – a smart phone with a camera will do)
- A laptop
- Adobe Bridge and Adobe Photoshop (CS5) will be used for the training. If participants have this on their laptops already it would be good to bring along
About the trainer:
Kate Holt is the founder and director of Arete and an experienced photographer. After gaining her first field experience in Kosovo in 1999 she has travelled extensively, documenting refugees and the effects of war and poverty in conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Somalia, Kenya, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Iraq, Afghanistan and Haiti. For the last twelve years she has photographed regularly for numerous NGOs – including UNICEF, Care International, The International Red Cross and Oxfam, and is a regular contributor for the BBC, The Guardian and The Mail on Sunday. She has been nominated numerous times for the Amnesty Award for humanitarian reporting and photography.
Arete is the expert storytelling agency for non-profits and NGOs, working with award-winning journalists and content specialists to help tell stories that make a difference.
Date: Wednesday 9 October 2019
Time: 10:00 – 16:00 GMT
Location: One World Media, CAN Mezzanine, 49-51 East Road, London, N1 6AH